Home > The School > Location
Location

Since the nineteenth century our beloved San Ildefonso school has been in Alfonso VI Street on the corner of La Paja square. This street, according to some documents in the Town Council Archives, was first named after Saint Isidro. Its name was later changed to "Aguardiente" (spirit) because the shops in the street sold this drink. Finally it was named after Alfonso VI, the king who conquered Madrid in 1085.

The street starts in Alamillo Square and consists of only four buildings. Number 8, built in 1871, is specially interesting for having the oldest balconies in the whole neighbourhood.

The school site was first occupied by Don Beltrán de la Cueva's palace, which belonged to the Luxanes de la Morería family and could possibly have been Juan de Luxán's, "el Bueno" residence. In the nineteenth century the building was first owned by the Count of Benalúa and later by the Count of Revillagigedo.

Later the building was temporarily used as the residence for the "Salesas Reales", after they were forced to abandon the monastery named after Doña Barbara de Braganza in 1870. When the nuns left the building an important renovation was carried out to improve the poor security and living conditions. This was done so that the San Ildefonso School could move in and it began its activities in 1884.

At the beginning of the nineties the building was totally rundown so a complete renovation was necessary. Inside the school there was a neo gothic chapel (currently the Assembly Hall) and various pieces of artwork donated by the Town Museum, such as a "Christ" by Antonio Pereda, "Saint Ana teaches the Virgin", a "Saint Teresa's Last Communion", a Spanish coat of arms made of wood and an ivory sculpture belonging to the Town Oratory/Chapel.

Vista aérea del Colegio de San Ildefonso en pleno corazón de Madrid [ edificio de color amarillo ].

 

Desde el entorno arquitectónico del Colegio podemos sumergirnos en el Madrid más antiguo.

  Send to a friend        Print

arsys.es Naranjus